The Club’s history has been divided into two sections – the physical history of the ground and facilities and the history of various teams and players.
Sutton Cricket Club was officially formed in 1857 and home matches were played on the ‘The Green’ in Sutton. The current ground was part of a locally-owned estate who offered the use of the ground to the club for the following season.
In 1865 the Club bought the old waiting room at Sutton Station to use a clubhouse. It was erected in the corner of the ground where it is now in use as the groundsman’s storeroom. In 1906 a large wooden pavilion was built where the current one stands today and cricket continued to flourish until 1914 when cricket came to a halt for the duration of the War.
In 1940 the old pavilion was destroyed during the Battle of Britain and it was a whole 15 years before funding was sourced to rebuild the structure and cricket took off again after this. Disaster struck in 1974 when the square was sabotaged by the outgoing groundsman, and after much advice and deliberation a new square was laid in a different direction. As well as a new square, the following year an agreement was struck to lease part of the ground out to allow construction of a squash club on the side of the existing clubhouse. Facilities were to be shared and the social side of the club grew during this time.
In 2012 the clubhouse underwent significant redevelopment, both inside and out. The whole of the inside of the clubhouse was refurbished and a new decking was added to replace the outdated terrace. The result is a classy clubhouse with first-class facilities which is perfect for both the cricketers and those who seek to use the facility today.
Sutton is also fortunate to have a second ground, Holmwood Close. This was purchased in 1986 and matches have been held there from 1989 – it is a truly beautiful ground.
The standard of cricket playing at Sutton has always been of the highest level and this is reflected in our rich history. Many players have progressed on to county and even national cricket. Despite the fact that no cricket was officially competitive until the late 1960s, a number of rivalries were developed long before then.
During the 1890s the Club began to field a second team and began to sport stars in its first team – W. G. Grace was a regular guest player for Sutton in what is now known as Cricket Week.
Here are a few remarkable highlights of the post-War period:
- Donald Knight of Surrey and England scored 201* against the MCC
- Caryl Thain took 9-21 against Epsom
- Dick Bell took over 2000 wickets in his Club career
The Club has been blessed to have been represented by some outstanding cricketers over the years, most recently including:
- Graeme Pollock
- Michael Carberry
- Sulieman Benn
- Johann Myburgh
- Arun Harinath
- Connor McKerr
Several Surrey Championships have also been won by the club, including the inaugural 1968 season, and most recently in 2009.